Tuesday 27 September 2011

FO - Steggie

This deserves its own  post.

Nick's dino sweater is finally finished. I had originally cast on for a size larger than him but he grew during the knitting process. Balls.  It fits him, still. Perfectly. SO, it'll be a sweater for this fall and I plan to put him in it everyday.

Yarn: Berrocco Weekend

Here are some pictures:

Sunday 25 September 2011

Saturday 24 September 2011

FO - Tempting

Well, I finished this sweater late last night. I was almost tragically disappointed in it at the end because of a shortsighted mistake... but innovation fixed it.

Here is a list of the changes I made:

I opted for a size of sweater between M and L so I cast on 176 instead of 180.
I worked in 2x2 rib  until the piece measured 17 inches, as I have a long torso and like a longer sweater.
When I placed 16 sts on waste yarn, the adjusted number of sts between the next waste yarn sts was 72 (instead of 74).
When I made the sleeves I cast on 64 and began immediately with the cable pattern to give the sleeves a decorative touch.
I worked in 2x2 rib until the sleeves measured 5 inches instead of 3.
I joined the sleeves to the body immediately because it was easier to knit.
When sleeves were joined, I worked across 48 sts of sleeve, followed by 72 sts of body (instead of 52 sts of sleeve and 74 of body).
The total number of sts around the garment once the sleeves were attached was 240 (instead of 252).
For the Yoke, I continued in 2x2 until I was 3 " from the end, then worked the cable pattern.
I bound off in k2tog bindoff instead of as in pattern.

Now, the tragic mistake was that I didn't switch to smaller needles for the neckline cables. Luckily, this was a fairly easy remedied problem. Instead of ripping out the work, (Who wants to rip out rows of 240 sts? Not I!) I opted to take a darning needle and thread a very long strand through the neckline and pull it tight.

In hindsight, it probably would've been smarter to do a few decreases but too little too late. I am very happy with how it looks. I'll take some better pictures outside in better light to show off the proper colours. I still have to wash it but I'll do so after my Stitch 'n Bitch on Monday.

Wednesday 21 September 2011

WIP - Tempting with cables

Well, the knitting of the tempting sweater continues. 2x2 rib is mind numbing but there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

I actually completed quite a bit of the sweater last weekend when we were in Ottawa: I finished the body and both sleeves and began the yoke.

After another day of knitting after coming home and recovering from the looooooong drive, I'm happy to say that I'm finally on the final cables of the project.

I've made quite a few modifications to the original pattern (the Large size) and I'll post them here when I'm finished with a note on my Ravelry page.

Here is a picture of my progress as of Sunday.

Tuesday 13 September 2011

FOs, almost-FOs, WIPs, and stash!

I've been fairly busy with my knitting lately. Still, it's nothing to brag about, unlike before.

I made a pair of monkeys for my mother.

I finished a drop stitch scarf for my hairdresser

I knitted a Steggie for my son (but the zipper still needs to be sewn on)

I started knitting a blanket for my brawlin' grandma:

And I started a Tempting sweater for myself, on which I'll be adding the cables modification.

I also went to the Knitters Fair in Kitchener, which is the largest knitting festival in the country. Over 70 vendors, and all knitting related. I picked up some yarn from my friend Cindy, and from Shall We Knit.

Here's some yarn porn: